I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. It was a smooth process and everything on my Lenovo T410 laptop is working well. I’m enjoying the design, speed and features of Windows 8 but found very quickly that Dragon NaturallySpeaking (in my case version 11 updated to 11.5) would not allow me to open voice profiles. This was a problem but easy to fix.
I was getting the message “User files you have selected cannot be accessed” error when I attempted to open a user profile. This is a permissions problem and can fixed very quickly.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your local disk (usually C:)
- Go to View and select “Hidden Items”
- Open the (usually hidden) ProgramData folder
- Open the Nuance folder and then DragonSpeaking 11 (or whatever version you are using)
- Right-click on the Users folder and select Properties
- Select the Security tab and click on your user name (the one with which you log into Windows)
- Put a tick in the ‘Allow’ box next to the Full Control option
- Click on OK and close any other windows you opened (you may wish to reset Windows Explorer’s default Hidden Files setting)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking should now work. Ta da!